Help keep your children safe online
The internet is a fantastic place for young people to learn, play and socialise but it’s vital that they’re aware of its dangers and how to stay safe.
Here’s a few tips to help your child stay safe online:
- Make sure your child knows what personal information is and that they’re share aware
- Ensure you understand the social media your child is using. If you don’t know your Roblox from your Snapchat or are getting in a Twitch trying to keep on top of the social media networks your child is using, visit the Net Aware website
- Follow the NSPCC’s TEAM approach:
- Talk – to your child/children about staying safe online, what worries them and you about them being online, the emotional aspects of social media (jealousy, self-esteem etc.)
- Explore their online world together
- Agree rules about what is ok and not
- Manage parental controls on all your family’s devices.
- Repeat – make it part of everyday life
CEOP’s Thinkuknow: Thinkuknow for 5-7 year olds and Thinkuknow for 8-10 year olds.
Safety net Kids: Safety net kids top 10 tips for staying safe online.
UK Safer Internet Centre: Primary Zone and Parents & Carers page.
Online Safety Guides for Parents: nationalonlinesafety.com
- TikTok – Online Safety Guide: TikTok – Online Safety Guide
- Online Grooming – Parents Guide: Online Grooming – Parents Guide